Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Easy backup

I downloaded Image for Windows (IFW) from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

It lets me backup my entire hard drive to DVD or CD. Plus it makes the DVD or CD bootable. That means if my hard drive ever crashes, I just boot from the DVD, and it will automatically restore everything.

Amazing. Easy to use. Only $US 27.

My only gripes:

1. It doesn't write to DVD-RW so you can't re-use DVD's.
2. Someone stupid like me could accidentally boot from a DVD and wipeout everything on the hard drive.

Both those gripes are solvable - just use cheap DVD-R disks, and (easier still) don't be stupid.

I'll email their tech dept and let you know if they have a solution for the DVD-RW's.

Addendum (17-Aug-05)

IFW can handle DVD+RW disks without any problems. DVD-RW's need to be fully blanked or brand-new before they will work. So I think I'll buy some +RW's and see how I go! The article is here: http://terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=215

No comments: